What is Pathways For Champions?
Special Olympics Ontario (SOO) would like to introduce the 2016-2017 Pathways for Champions (P4C) program. Emphasis will be placed on coach development. We know that better coaches produce better athletes, but moreover, SOO has a responsibility to increase the caliber of coaches across the entire province. By providing skill based learning opportunities for coaches, we will see skill improvements in athletes. This will result in more confident athletes, both in sport and in the community. Equally, we will enhance our sustainable competencies in sport clubs across the province.
There are 11 sports currently highlighted in the P4C program:
5 pin bowling, 10 pin bowling, athletics, basketball, bocce, golf, powerlifting, rhythmic gymnastics, soccer, softball and swimming.
The sports listed above will be featured in the 2018 National Summer Games. The P4C program will provide a direct benefit to athletes and coaches selected to Team Ontario. Skill development sessions that are emphasized in the current program will offer athletes a preliminary training platform for future P4C programs.
Each sport will have a specific focus that has been identified for skill development. SOO will be engaging either the provincial or national sport organization to assist with the delivery of skill development sessions.
Each clinic will provide:
- Access to highly skilled coaches for future networking opportunities
- Skill specific learning opportunities
- SOO athletes will be invited to attend for practice coaching sessions
- All clinics will focus on practical skill teaching sessions, which may or may not include classroom sessions.
- Nutrition breaks and/or lunch will be offered.
Benefits to the coach:
-Increased overall knowledge of the sport
- Increased coaching competencies with skill specific education
- Coaches attending the P4C programs will receive higher rankings for provincial and national games coach selection.
- Improvement in athlete’s sport skills will benefit the overall sport club/team.
Benefits to the community:
- Higher skilled coaches will improve overall sport club/team performance
- Higher skilled coaches will engage more sponsors within the community
- Higher skilled coaches are more confident, which leads to a more positive perception in the club/team
Registration fee for each clinic: $20.00
To register for any P4C session, click the link below: